Internet shopping is one of the best things ever invented. You do not need to break a sweat walking or driving around looking for furniture or other items. All you need now, is good a computer and good internet to find the perfect piece for your house. However like any innovation, there are some pitfalls to when purchasing items online. A bad online store or purchase can leave you feeling unsatisfied or conned. You can avoid the pitfalls of online shopping with the following tips:
- Identify your style before searching online. Like any other store, there a numerous furniture stores online. Some online stores would sell a variety, while some stick to the one set of style. Understanding what you want will help you find a store that sells the type of furniture you are looking for, which will in turn narrow your search. Using keywords in your search engine will help narrow down your search to a store selling your style preference.
- Know your seller. The internet is an open market to know, but it is important to know that not all sellers a genuine or reliable. Always read the about page of the furniture store. Knowing the history of the store, what they are selling and their contact details. Find out if the website has any testimonies and if their products have any reviews. The reviews can tell you a lot about the seller and it will also help you understand if the furniture you are buying is made of the material you are looking at.
- Read the fine print of the store’s policy. This could include the; return policy, warranties, pricing, shipping costs and delivery method. Make sure you understand the return policy for the furniture before you purchase it. This usually helps when you need to return an item. The same can be done with warranties. While looking at pricing, make sure that what you are buying is within you price range, and make note of any extras that could include taxes and shipping costs.
- Understand furniture measurements. You should have an idea of the size of furniture you are looking for. Use a tape measure to make a quick note of the size of the size of furniture you are looking for. Once you have this measurement, make sure you read the description and specification of the furniture you are looking at. Furniture specifications will give you a break down on the size of the furniture, colour, and instructions on how to clean the furniture and even how to assemble the furniture if needed.
- Shop from secure websites. Before finalizing a purchase, it is important to ensure that you are buying an item from a secure website. You can find out if a website is secure by looking at the FAQs where that will have detailed information on their security policies. You can also tell if a website is secure when checking out an item as the URL will changes to begin with https instead of http. In Kenya, most online stores have embraced M-pesa and you can always choose to pay for the item once it is delivered.
It is important to note that many of the pictures on a website a professionally done, and it is for this reason that one should not rely on a photograph alone before purchasing furniture. Remember to read the description of the furniture piece at it lists all the tiny details you need to know about your furniture.